In Awareness, Human Trafficking on December 3, 2013 at 12:59 pm
Description: This year, CNN will join the fight to end modern-day slavery and shine a spotlight on the horrors of modern-day slavery. The CNN Freedom Project will amplify the voices of the victims, highlight success stories and help unravel the complicated tangle of criminal enterprises trading in human life. You can find more information and stories at The CNN Freedom Project.
If you choose to use this project with your students, you may want to use these questions and learning activities to help your students understand the problem of modern-day slavery and steps that can be taken to end it.
Teachers and Parents: The themes of the Freedom Project include the sex trade, human trafficking, torture and murder. We urge you to preview all videos and content to make sure that they are appropriate for your students.
Source/Material: CNN Freedom Project
In Awareness, Human Trafficking on October 5, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Here are some interesting facts from the foundation and Polaris.org worth considering:
- 100,000 — number of U.S. kids exploited annually in the commercial sex industry.
- 13 — the average age when a child is first exploited
- 70 — percentage of victims reporting physical or sexual abuse in their home
- $1.5 million — estimated revenue a pimp can get from a five-girl prostitution ring
- 1,900 — 2012 calls from Texas to the National Human Trafficking Resource Center
- 9 — bills passed in Texas to protect victims and prosecute traffickers
- $1.9 million — grants to the Dallas Women’s Foundation in the last four years to support prevention, victim assistance and advocacy in North Texas.
Source: Dallas Morning View Blog